Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thoughts on Child Birth

So many people ask if I'm going to go for the drugs during labor. I've been really hesitant to make a decision either way. It's so intimidating - not only do I have NO idea what to expect, I don't want to feel like I've failed before I even start being a mom. But I feel like I know what direction I want to go in.

This weekend I finished reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. It was a fabulously enlightening book, and incidently, the same book the Lieutenant Commander on the Metro recommended to me ages ago. The first half is a ton of birth stories from women who had natural childbirths. The second is more informative, talking about how deep the connection between the mind and body is during labor, what happens during childbirth and labor, how to cope, and the differences between medical/technological care and midwifery care. I highly recommend it.

While most stories you hear about child birth are these horrific and terrifying war stories, all the stories in this book were very positive and encouraging. Don't get be wrong, these ladies weren't saying it was easy breezy, but they were definitely more in tune with their bodies and how to respond.

I also just saw this documentary today called The Business of Being Born. I was a little nervous to watch it because it's about the pros of at home births and produced by Ricki Lake. I was sort of expecting a sensationalized expose on the absolute horrors of hospital births. But it was actually quite balanced while showing numerous home births (including Ricki Lake's which was a little weird).

Ina May was interviewed in this film, she wrote the book I just finished, and she's on the board of Birth Works, the child birth class Lane and I just registered for.

Basically, the philosophy is belief that the woman's body instinctively knows what to do. They focus on building confidence and providing tools and resources to use during childbirth, without prescribing a certain way to give birth (natural or not) because they believe every birth experience is unique. I am really excited about it.

I guess after all this, I'm finally ready to say that I want to try the natural childbirth experience. I want to believe in my body's ability to guide this baby into the world. I'll have some challenges I think by doing this in the hospital, but I'm willing to give it a go.

I am pretty much decided about next time already. Next time I'll go to a midwife and have the baby at a birth center.

Wish me luck as I try to prepare myself for this!

No comments: