Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Restaurant Weekend

Lane and I went on a date on Friday night to the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse. They show films on a big screen with tables and chairs and servers come and take your orders for food and drink. As my brother Tim would say, it’s a good idea in theory. Unfortunately, the food was pretty lousy. We did, however, enjoy watching Juno. It was endearing and comical, and I cried my eyes out at the end. I’m blaming it all on my super-preggo status. Next time we’ll just order drinks and eat before or after the film.

Saturday we enjoyed sleeping in, making a nice breakfast in the morning, and then Lane played some computer games while I took a nap. We ventured to the Junior League’s annual Tossed & Found sale where I got some board books for the baby in excellent condition. I also got a practically brand new copy of Super Baby Food – an item that has been on my wish list. Lane got all but one of the Bourne book series and I found a few baby clothing items (this is excluding the whole separate trip I took on Sunday).

That afternoon David & Cynthia and her friend Brooke got into town. We had a late lunch and had to make an emergency trip to the mall. Poor Cynthia’s bag did not show up when they got off the bus. Of course, she brought all her favorite make up, clothes, a jacket I gave her for Christmas, AND a present for the baby. She was obviously bummed and very frustrated about that. I’m still hoping they’ll call her with her bag, but it’s not looking good.

That night we feasted on Thai food galore at Neramitra, right outside our apartment building. Before we were even finished eating, David was already making plans for eating Kabob Palace later that night. The plan was to go dancing, but I had to excuse my big ol’ pregnant self. I’m not much for standing for long periods of time, or walking for that matter. So Lane and David and Cynthia and Brooke went up to Adams Morgan for a night on the town. I am sad to say I missed such events as Cynthia getting told by a stranger that he wouldn’t sleep with her and that she was ugly, Brooke being spit upon, David almost starting a fight, a $15 cab ride to travel about 0.5 miles, and a 3 am Kabob Palace run that included a 40 minute wait for the food. This loveliness ended around 4:30 or so in the am.

Since I was so well rested, I got up before everyone and spent some time reading my book at the coffee shop. It was very relaxing, I just might end up doing that some more. Lane and I headed to Harry’s Tap Room for a delicious birthday brunch for our friend Leanne where we enjoyed spending time with our friends and meeting new people. As soon as we got home from brunch, Malia called to say she and her Aunt Debbie would be in Crystal City for lunch and they invited us to join them. Even though we were full to the brim, we couldn’t refuse a chance to visit with Malia and Aunt Debbie – especially since it was Malia’s birthday!!! After our leisurely conversation we took some pics and then headed back. This was when David advised us that he and the girls were at TGI Fridays (of all places) and we should meet them there. So we trekked to our third restaurant of the day to hang out.

The weekend ended quietly with the girls and Lane and I renting some movies and eating kabob left overs. I don’t really know what it was about because I snuggled up to Lane and went right to sleep, but I woke up just long enough to cry about some part of the movie. Hormones, sheesh!

No comments: