Friday, January 25, 2008

Venting.

One of my newfound pastimes, now that I’m regularly going to the doctor and getting prescriptions, is disputing charges with pharmacies and doctor’s offices. The other day after several phone calls to both my insurance company AND the pharmacy, I was finally able to get reimbursed after I was charged more than double what I should have for my prenatal vitamins, due to an error of the pharmacy’s (who swore up and down that they entered everything correctly, and that the problem was with the insurance company).

Two days after resolving this, my next insurance woe came in the form of a bill for one of my recent doctor appointments. Remember when I went in a week early because I was having pelvic pain? Well, at that appointment, the doctor told me to cancel my appointment later that week since we’d already done everything that would have been done at a normal 1st prenatal appointment (ultrasound, exam, answering questions, what’s okay and what’s not in pregnancy). When I called the billing office, they said the visit wasn’t classified as a prenatal visit because I was complaining of pain, and as soon as you do that, it’s considered an “office visit” and not a prenatal visit. It’s ridiculous! What am I supposed to say when the doctor asks how I'm feeling at a prenatal appointment, if when you say you’re having pain it’s no longer a prenatal appointment? Is that supposed to be a trick question?! I haven’t gotten this issue resolved yet. My next steps are talking to the doctor’s office, and if that doesn’t take care of it, I will speak directly with the doctor at my appointment next week.

It’s a hassle. And I really like the doctor’s office, it’s just a pain dealing with their billing people. Grr.

No comments: