Sunday, January 6, 2008

Weekend Wrapup

We started out the weekend early by having our neighbors, Dan & Julia, over for dinner. We made a spicy italian sausage spaghetti, salad and some of Rachael Ray's cheesy pepper garlic bread. mmm. Dan & Julia are awesome. They left us a little thank you gift baggy with a cute note and some chocolates on our front door. This is becoming their signature move - they left us an ornament on our doorstep for Christmas, and a little pumpkin candle to remind us to "fall back" when Daylight Savings time was over. I am impressed.

Friday night we met up with Jess & Sean and friends we met through them, Alex & Matt for some Hibachi style dinner at a place right by our apartment. It was fun. We were mesmerized by the fancy chopping, suprised by the sudden bursts of flame, and entertained by the corny jokes.

On our 5 minute walk back to the apartment, I realized how tired, full, and just yucky I felt. Imagine my delight when we got to our front door and realized that neither of us had our keys with us. Lane went downstairs to get an extra key. I was ready to fall over, and told him I'd just wait upstairs. I sat down on the floor in the elevator lobby and waited. Ages later, Lane came back up, but without the front desk guy. He said the guy told him only I was on the lease (not true) and that they could only talk to me. They needed to see my ID, which Lane already advised was locked up in the apartment. I grumpily went downstairs to tell this guy what Lane had already told him, and the monster in me came out.
Mean Front Desk Guy: Ma'am, as I already explained, I need to see your valid photo ID before I can let you in.
Grumpy Elena: As my husband already explained, my ID is inside our locked apartment, so I can't show that to you.
Mean Front Desk Guy: Well, I need your ID before I can let you in.
Grumpy Elena: I don't have it with me. It's inside the apartment. Are you saying you won't let me in my apartment!?!? Because if you are, we have a serious problem!!
Mean Front Desk Guy: That's not what I'm saying....

In the meantime, Lane had been searching all over through his wallet and found an insurance card that has my name on it. He asks if this is okay, they guy agrees, and then spends at least 20 minutes or more helping other people and randomly walking from one part of the lobby to another, disappeared for a while and then FINALLY decided to take us upstairs and unlock the door. When we got to the top, he insisted I show him my photo ID, which I was glad to do, but he was walking away before he could even glance at it. whatever. I guess I don't have very much patience these days. :( It was really funny because Lane was telling me how there was no point in being angry, that it wasn't going to change the situation. Usually it's ME telling him that!

Saturday was much more relaxing, and spent reading, watching netflix, eating left overs and napping. ahhh. We have been getting spoiled with 4 day weekends. Somehow we'll make it through this 5 day work week.

No comments: